It is known that an injury to the posterior cruciate ligament that is detected early on can be treated conservatively – i.e. without surgery – without accompanying injuries. However, this treatment consisted of a complete immobilization in stretching, so that the patients developed a muscle deficit that they had to catch up. Also, the splint was often not worn consistently and movement deficits were the result.
In order to avoid these problems and consequences, Prof. Dr. med. Philip Schöttle and orthopedic technicians developed a splint that pushes the shinbone forward with a controlled force. This relieves the load on the posterior cruciate ligament and allows movement at the same time. This increases the patient’s wearing comfort and willingness to wear a splint and minimizes the muscle deficit. The first renowned patient was Patrick Herrmann, player of the first Bundesliga soccer team Borussia Mönchengladbach, who was able to return to the pitch without surgery after a few weeks.
This new development enables conservative and postoperative early, dynamic and functional treatment of (partial) ruptures of the posterior cruciate ligament. The support pad of the M.4s PCL dynamic orthosis holds the tibia in the desired position. The mechanism is precisely adjusted with the integrated rotary knob to relieve and protect the posterior cruciate ligament. The aim is to quickly mobilize patients again. Early and targeted movement has a positive effect on functionality and musculature.
Advantages of the dynamic HKB rail:
- The innovative support pad acts actively on the tibia and holds it securely in the desired position.
- Due to its shell shape, the pad adapts ideally to the calf.
- The integrated rotary wheel allows an exact and individual adjustment of the support pad.
- The lateral number scale facilitates the (re-)adjustment of the support pad.
- The patented physio glide joint optimally imitates the roll-slide movement at the knee. This ensures that the orthosis sits securely on the leg.
- The slender joint construction makes it possible to wear under clothing.
- The wing shape of the tibia pad optimally adapts to the anatomical shape of the tibia.
- The pressure is distributed effectively and pleasantly.